Constructivism.
Having registered at Strathclyde University this week, I am now a fully-fledged student again. I have tried to limit my god-awful "Rik" impressions (upper-front teeth thrust forward, one hand raised to waist level with a V-sign to the fore) but have failed miserably. I haven't been this smug for quite some time.
Constructivism.
Having joined three (count 'em) three teachers' unions, collected a few freebies, gotten my student card and looked aghast at my timetable for the year - I have since been reading about how folk learn and in what environments they are most likely to excel.
Constructivism.
Sit pupils down, stand at the blackboard and talk at them. Give them hunnerz of facts. Tell them to read books and revise dead hard. Get them to repeat rules/mantras/facts. Be an expert in your subject and you'll be a good teacher.
I've never believed in all that (and thankfully it's not what's expected of us). I've never been an expert in anything (cheesy 80's pop aside) - but I've always enjoyed understanding strengths and weaknesses in others; setting challenges; having a hoot; helping; prodding; giving advice; seeking debate; celebrating successes; trying to create an atmosphere where others want to learn and succeed. Now I might have been crap at it - but that's not the point. It's what I believed.
It's called Constructivism, and when I read about it, I felt the need to put my tongue between my teeth and bottom lip and mutter "well.........duh". I am the converted and on Monday I will getting preached at.
Away we go....................
Saturday, 25 August 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Forget about constructivism, do some of this instead:
http://monster-island.org/tinashumor/humor/profs.html
Uncanny.........some of these are straight from my Wednesday morning lecture.
Post a Comment