Two solid days at the weekend, thinking about how to teach a class of S2 pupils about series and parallel circuits. A full-on lesson plan (well ahead of schedule in terms of academic expectation), reviewed with my sympathetic and helpful incumbent physics teacher. Reworked following that advice - resulting in a better plan. Ready to go.
And my delivery was crap.
Dull lesson. Delivered with a set of shoulders that were tenser than the proverbial camel's arse in a sandstorm. Earnest pupils trying to pay attention and listen to my hopeless verbal micturating.
OK, so I'm exaggerating. My feedback was "OK - here's how you can make it better. It was by no means the worst first-lesson I've seen". But I hated it. It wasn't how I pictured myself as a teacher.
Fast forward 48 hours to my scheduled primary school visit. P7 teacher struggling with - savour the irony - electric circuits. My offer of assistance was jumped upon - and with no preparation, no time to fret about it - I delivered 40 minutes of exhilarating (for me anyway) teaching. High order questioning, pupil involvement, humour, cooperative teaching, and all finished off with a bit of assessement to guage achievement of learning goals.
The teacher gave me some good feedback but I only really heard "if I hadn't known you're a student I would have said you'd been doing this for years".
Woohoo!
So, a week of two halves. From the despondency of being poor to the exhilaration of being, well, pretty good.
This week, it's back to Uni for another four weeks. Four days a week. Tuesdays off.
Torture eh ?
Tuesday, 9 October 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
You given up on the teaching, given up on the blog, or just sulking cos no one's commenting anymore?
No, no. I've just been away for a few days at the delightful Center Parcs Sherwood Forest. Bumped into those awfully nice gentlemen Messrs Dempsey and McGuire.
Oh. Are they an item now? John or Bill, btw?
It's an interesting mental picture, however they were there with their respective weans.
It was John of that Ilk. He's a pretty rich mutha now, but still seems happy to converse with the likes of me.
You've definitely gone a bit quiet - are you skiving?
Post a Comment