Sunday, 18 November 2007

A Bit Of A Nerve

I can't teach.

Having finally got off the ground this week with a couple of "real" lessons, having subsequently been given some good feedback (along with the mandatory Areas For Improvement), the tweak I put in my lower back last week has finally reached out and grabbed the main nerve bundle serving my left leg.

The pain in my leg is feckin' terrible, primarily when I am standing or walking: two of the main physical activities required of a teacher. This has stopped my teaching in its tracks.

Consultations with both my GP and my local Chiropracter have resulted in a diagnosis of a disc prolapse along with a course of diclofenac and amitriptyline. I am sore, worried and grumpy - not least because I have a "crit" in a couple of weeks time and I'm going to be severely limited as to the amount of teaching practice I can actually complete.

The past couple of days have seen me laid up at home, lying on the sofa doing lesson plans and watching old DVD's on my new upscaling DVD player (try watching Bladerunner on a decent HD telly - top notch).

However, I'm now left with a bit of a dilemma. I can haul my ass back to school as soon as possible (in order to get as much experience as I can) and maybe make it worse; or take more time off in order to fully recover but get heehaw teaching practice before my crit.

The nightmare scenario is of course that I can't complete this placement at all and fail to graduate this year.

Oh, arse.

6 comments:

Mamtha said...

Hello Gordon,

I'm writing in with an unusual request.

I’m a Ph.D. student at Glasgow University trying to find out how people across cultures (U.K. and India) approach life-work, love, leisure, what is important to them and the different things that means ‘happiness’ to them.

So I’m, here to interview British/Scottish men and women between the ages of 25 and 35 ,give or take a couple of years and from all walks of life( I see you are a teacher.)

And thought this is a good enough way to locate participants..

But why would you want to do this? Well for one, you will be part of an important study that eventually aims to find application in making people happy :) Two, you get to talk about yourself for two whole hours while somebody is really paying attention! Three, when you come visiting India, you can stay in my home in Mumbai and you will be taken around. And four, I’ll buy you coffee and snacks over the session (s).

I need about 10-12 people and each is therefore very crucial for the study. We could arrange a place that is convenient to YOU and I’ll produce my university id and passport if you want to see it (!!).

So, if you want to chat about your life and have someone pay attention, please mail me at mamthakarollil[at]gmail[.]com.

Eagerly,
Mamtha.

Unknown said...

Goodness me! What an offer from Mamtha...

Sorry to hear that you've got a slipped disc (or whatever they like to call it nowadays). I did the very same at this point in my final year at university; however I wasn't having to walk about too much, apart from getting myself to the Western for traction treatment. Anyway, it's not an excuse for failing exams! Just make sure you've got the right drugs and moan enough at your tutors to make sure they give you lots of leeway when it comes to coursework. Make sure you do your physio exercises (McKenzie book is good), and forget the golf (it's a crap game anyway).

Mr David Gordon said...

I've a sneaking suspicion that "Mamtha" is actually a short bloke from Newry.....

mcgenius said...

It's a nice thought, but too much effort has gone into it to have owt to do with the likes of me.

Getting a made-up name onto the list of doctoral researchers at Glesga Uni is a particularly nice touch:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/departments/management/research/doctoralresearchers/


But hey, thanks for thinking of me as Suspect #1.

mcgenius said...

That URL didn't come through properly. So just google "mamthi karollil" - which is what I just did.

Mr David Gordon said...

Well it did sound a wee bit like "Brad Bulsari".....